Video is the future of digital marketing. Even the podcast, long confined to an audio format, has been revamped to include images to better appeal to the public. But what is a video podcast and what are the advantages?
Definition of a video podcast
Podcast is a word obtained by merging iPod and broadcast which means broadcast. This is a very recent term, coined in 2004 by British journalist Ben Hammersley and later popularized by Apple. A podcast is an audio file, often in MP3 format, that users can download and listen to later on their portable player or other mobile device. The frequency of editing these audio contents varies from one podcaster to another. If they subscribe to a podcast, users can then automatically get each newly produced episode. While the audio podcast was a popular format for individuals and radio stations, TV stations and businesses among many others have appropriated it. It is accessible to all. The video podcast is based on the same principle as the audio version, but as its name indicates, the sound is grafted with static or non static images.
Why make a video podcast?
The video podcast is a good way to develop your audience. In fact, video will account for 82 percent of video traffic by 2020, according to 2016 estimates by IT company Cisco Systems. If the podcast is very popular in the United States with 1 in 3 consumers, in Belgium, it is gaining in popularity. 8% of Belgians listen to it daily. Producing regular video podcasts is also a good way to keep your community engaged. This format is also easy to implement. Its production is inexpensive, requiring no specific equipment. Free software, a camera and a smartphone can be sufficient to record the audio and to add the video element. The video podcast is also compatible with social networks and video platforms like YouTube. Adopting this format is a good way to increase your visibility.
The different types of video podcast
Depending on how comfortable you are with the tools and video creation, you can choose between:
- The background video podcast which consists of converting the audio file into a video file and putting an animated or non-animated image in the background or audiogram.
- The video podcast as a slide show, the visual will integrate several slides to highlight important points such as key figures, etc.
- The live video podcast. The content is then recorded live. It is a guarantee of authenticity and allows for better interaction with users.
- The remote video podcast consists of recording an exchange between speakers who are in different locations using video conferencing software.
- The video podcast in the manner of a vlog. Like YouTube, this method consists of recording the conversation between the speakers. You will need a microphone, a camera and good lighting.
Podcast recording with Pop Productions
The Pop Productions team specializes in website creation, but also everything related to video. In this second case, we take care of everything from pre-production to post-production. Our innovative equipment and tools allow us to meet the expectations of all our customers. Aware of the popularity of podcasts, we also allow you to record them in our audio booth to ensure the quality of the soundtrack. If you are considering creating video podcasts, let us know about your project and we can discuss its implementation.